Banh Canh Gio Heo ~ Pork Rice Udon Noodle Soup with Homemade Udon Noodles
- Soup – pork feet, water, fish sauce, salt, rock sugar/candy, chicken powder, pork bone (optional), pork crib (optional)
- Udon noodles – 3.5 cups cold water, 2 cups rice flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp cooking oil, 3/4 cup tapioca starch
pork loins/bacon/pork shoulder
Vietnamese pork ham
lime, hot chili, dried shallot, black pepper
scallion, cilantro, bean sprout
vinegar, 1 yellow onion
How… Banh Canh Gio Heo – Xuan Hong
Cleaning pork feet:
- Pre-mixed water = cold water + vinegar + salt = Mix well and set aside.
- A pot = add cold water = boil
When it’s boiled, add pork legs = continue cook
When it’s boiled again, remove pork legs to a colander, rewash them with pre-mixed water, set aside.
Cooking pork feet & pork loins:
- A pot = cold water = cook until it’s boiled
When it’s boiled, add a yellow onion, add pre-washed pork leg, add pork loins = Cook
- Add candy sugar + salt + chicken powder = Continue cooking until they’re cooked.
- When they are cooked, remove them out. Usually pork loin is ready first.
- After removing all meat out, add 2 carton of chicken broth = continue cook until it’s reboiled.
- Test to taste. If it’s not your taste yet, add a 1/2 tsp sugar + 1/2 tsp chicken powder + 1 tsp fish sauce
Making udon dough:
- A pot = cold water + rice flour + salt + cooking oil = mix well
- Cook at medium heat but constantly stir to avoid stick at the bottom of the pot.
- When your hand feel heavy (not boil yet), turn off the stove
- add tapioca starch = continue stir.
Pre-boil a pot of water + cooking oil = continue cooking and leave it there.
Pressing dough to make udon noodles:
- Add dough to a potato ricer with large hole disc.
- Press the dough into boiling water
- When out of dough, just shaking the mole, then noodles drop into boiling water.
- Continue pressing the rest of dough.
- When noodle are floated on the top, they’re ready to drain.
- Remove cooked noodle into a colander, drain them under the faucet with cold water.
- Add a little of cooking oil and mix around noodles avoiding them stuck each other.
Now, everything is seem done.
Prepare a bowl of udon noodle soup:
- A bowl = add cooked udon noodles (making udon noodles hotter by microwave it) + couple slices of Vietnamese ham + a couple slices of cooked pork loins + 1 cooked pork leg + soup
- Add a little bit of everything (sliced/chopped scallion + cilantro + dried shallot + black pepper)
- Serve but don’t forget squeeze some lime, add some slice of hot chili, add some bean sprout (optional)
Enjoy your winter hot udon noodle soup from FoodNetBay team!